The DELPHI PARSER Technology is built on an Open Architecture Framework. It is constructed in the form of open layers, allows any programmer an access to all its functions & an option to make any adjustments at will, giving that the source code is 100% Pure Delphi. The 1st layer deals with the Language Syntax. The 2nd layer deals with Core Base functionality of the Delphi Parser. The 3rd Layer deals with Database Component, which handles simple replacement requests. The 4th layer is the rule base engine, contains the rule based engine & migration process functionality over a single file & across the entire libraries. The 5th layer is the open scripting language, enables the control of the migration process outside of the source code, without having to recompile the Delphi Parser’s code. This is the wizard layer, which enables building a 1-click scripting tools for similar requests across many projects. The upper level is the application level, where you can write your own customized migration process wizards.
The Core Foundation of the DELPHI PARSER is based on understanding that there is compatibility between the millions of lines of code that exist within the organization, and there is common interface & basic compatibility between different projects in a written code. The similarity between the code bases across different customers is the core foundation on which the Delphi Parser is built on.
The DELPHI PARSER is fully Customizable & Adaptable to any given forms of writing, whether in the same project and whether for different customers. After analysis and mapping patterns of development and use of components of any project, you can build a custom upgrade process, and tailor a solution for each & every project & optimize it to fit requirement to carry out its automatic substitution.
Although, it may seem like the Delphi Parser’s Robot takes care of the whole project, when you look at the project scope is there is a lot more to do, than just running the parser…
First you need to initiate the process by assessing your business needs, and the implications on your software & hardware systems. Most software modernization project are evolving from the need to change the operating system like
- Upgrading Operating System – like from Windows XP to 7 or 10
- Hardware incompatibility
- Environment Change – like from Desktop to Web Application
- Database Server Adaptation
- Interaction with other software or application services.
Get a Total Inspection & Assessment of your software system.
- You need to get a realistic view of your software & hardware system.
- We can help with that using our automatic analysis tools & assessments for modernization service.
Make a wish-list of your modernization needs, both software & hardware.
Estimating the modernization project
This is probably the hardest part of the whole process. We can help you getting all the answers to all the big questions, like:
- How long will it take?
- How much will it cost?
- How will it be managed?
- What are the risks?
- What will be the impact of the business?
- Will it make the customers happy?
- What are my alternatives?
Once you are ready to go, we can start designing the new modernized software system:
- Design your modernization solution, both software & hardware.
- Define all legacy features (software & hardware) & their modernization solution
- Build a work plan
- Setup modernization development team
- Design modernization development environment
Build your modernization solution
- Build an isolated development & test modernization Environment (software & hardware)
- Automatically Analyze the code
- Automatically Discover all function points & group them into template groups.
- Develop & build customized parser features based on the template groups.
- Customize automatic modernization process to fully fit your project needs
- Adjust manual fixes
- Run automatic modernization solution
- Test solution
- Refine solution until all features works as expected.
Compile Code – Once you have a new Modernized code, you need to do some manual development work on each application:
- Check the result of new code
- Compile the new code – If it fails, locate the problem. If it is a problem in the parser, make the necessary changes in the parser & run it again.
Test the Modernized Application
- If it fails, locate the problem. If it is a problem in the parser, make the necessary changes in the parser & run it again.
- Refine the process as needed, add or change features to the parser, regenerate the code over again, until the code compiles & works as expected.
- Once you have a new modernized working application, you can make manual adjustments as you like & continue development as needed.
Building a new modernized solution takes time as well as Integration & tests until the new modernized code is deployed in full (months to years, depending on the code & requirements) – in the meantime the ongoing development team continues to work on their own code, produce updates & develop new features…
Don’t worry! whenever the code is update, you can insert it to the parser and run it on the most updated code, and regenerate a fresh batch of new modernized code.
This is the most significant feature, why it is best to use an automatic refactoring solution.
Flexible solution – whether you decide to make a change in the modernized solution, go back, remove, change or add feature – the process is very flexible and won’t resent you or slack off.
Fast Response – Feel free to run the parser over & over again, until you are satisfied.
Preliminary integration & tests – Once you have a new modernized working set of applications, you can start do integration tests to see if interacts & behaves as expected in the new test environment.
Full Scale QA Tests
Once all the new applications are ready & interacts in the new test environment, you can run full scale QA tests, to make sure the new modernized code works as expected.
If the test finds an error that runs across the code, or something is forgotten & need to be changed or added, you can always go back to parser, make the necessary changes, regenerate a new code from the most update version, compile (through an already build automatic procedure), and send back for QA to test again.
Once you have all the new application tested & approved you are ready for deployment. Even though it may take a while for the organization to setup all the environment for deploying the new system, don’t worry – your parser is waiting for any new code version to process.
Maintenance & Support
Even after the whole organization is working with the new modernized software, and the development team have successfully shift to work on the code, the Delphi Parser can still be of help, maintaining millions of lines code, with a click of button.